Ransomware Virus Recovery
What is Ransomware?
An advanced malware, Ransomware prevents you from accessing your PC or files until you pay a ransom.
Types of Ransomware
Incorporated with advanced encryption algorithms, this type of ransomware is designed to block system files and demand payment to provide the affected user with the key that will decrypt the blocked content. For example: Crypto Locker, Wannacry, Locky, CrytpoWall, etc.
This malware locks the person out of the OS, making it impossible for them to access the data saved on it. Here, the files are not encrypted, but the ransomware still asks for a ransom to unlock the infected device. For example: Police-themed ransomware or Win locker.
Master Boot Record (MBR) ransomware is a type of Locker ransomware. The MBR is a section of a hard drive that enables the Operating System to boot up. However, when the MBR ransomware attacks the drive, the boot process fails to complete and demands the payment of ransom as soon as possible. For example: Satana, Petya, etc.
Identifying Ransomware Attack
The ransomware commonly attacks your personal data such as documents, photos, audios, and videos. But what can you do to identify the ransomware attack on your device? If you get any message asking for a ransom so that you can access your data, browser, emails, or your entire device, you can identify this as a ransomware attack.
Where Ransomware Comes From
Ransomware can attack your device through emails or web browsers. This is because these two can cause the download of malicious code (ransomware) that may be in the form of malicious macros, malicious scripts, or malicious EXEs. Once downloaded the ransomware attacks and affects your device severely.
The number of ransomware families is increasing everyday
CTB Locker Virus
CTB locker (Curve-Tor-Bitcoin Locker) or Critroni, is an example of file – encrypting ransomware infections.
How to Remove Ransomware?
Ransomware virus can be removed in some cases! Contact professionals who can decrypt your files infected with the Ransomware virus.
If you notice any unusual activity on your Desktop or Laptop such as an automatic lock of the Desktop or Laptop screen, immediately switch off your computer. Doing so can further stop infection of your files.
If your Data gets infected by Ransomware virus, recovery of your Data is still possible. Contact the nearest Stellar Data Recovery branch. We are the professional Data Recovery service provider in India and can recover your infected Data from Ransomware virus such as Wannacry, .wallet, .locky, .ctb, Cryptolocker, etc.
How to Stay Away from Ransomware Attack?
- Maintain a regular backup of all your data, especially the critical ones.
- Use reliable security solutions and keep the System Watcher ‘ON’ on your system.
- Always keep the software solutions updated on all devices that you use.
- Handle emails and their attachments from senders you don’t know carefully. In case of doubt, refrain from opening them.
- If you have a self-business, you should educate your employees to manage your data intelligently. For example, keeping sensitive data separately, restricting access, and always maintaining a backup of all your data.
- As ransomware is a criminal offence, report it to the local law enforcement agency when such instances strike.
What to do in case of Ransomware Attack?
If in case you come across any unusual system behaviour – Desktop getting locked on own, you are not able to unlock, random screen appearing on your laptop or desktop, take the following steps immediately:
- Switch off your system directly (Do not use the shutdown mode)
- Disconnect the LAN cable
- Restart the system & Install the official patch from Microsoft that closes the vulnerability used in the attack
- Scan the latest antivirus patch
- Take a backup of your data
Next, observe the following Do’s and Don’ts :
- Do not open any suspicious links and attachments in email messages
- Do not open any suspicious images attached in e-mail
- Do not respond to any phishing or suspicious e-mail messages
- Notify the System Support Department immediately in case of suspicious emails
- Do not keep the security solutions switched off on the systems and servers connected to the network
- Keep your operating system, antivirus, browsers & other software updated with their latest versions